My Review of The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick



My Review:

The Library of Lost and Found was a joy to read and captivating from the first page to the last. I loved Martha Storm and found myself rooting for something better for her all the way through the story. Owen was another favourite of mine with his monogrammed slippers and humorous badges, both Martha and Owen have a timeless quality to them which I particularly enjoyed, if they were transported back to the Victorian era then they would fit in perfectly and I suspect be quite happy too.

The Library of Lost and Found is full of warmth and love but also tears too as the author tugs at our heartstrings with frequent visits to unpleasant events from her Martha's past. She is shaped by her upbringing, as we all can be, and has that sense of knowing something isn't quite right in her family but never quite knowing what. Family secrets always have a habit of bursting forth eventually as they are metaphorical boils that need to be lanced and it's no exception in the story. This adds an extra layer of nuance as we get to understand why everyone behaves as they do, and allows the reader to sympathise with even the most seemingly unsympathetic characters. 

Phaedra Patrick stroke of genius are the stories made up by Martha, Betty and Zelda interspersed at pertinent points throughout the story. They create a sense of pathos and are worth reading as a stand alone collection.

Bravo Phaedra Patrick for writing a story that left me with a smile on my face for having being lucky enough to witness Martha's journey.

Thank you to Izzy at HQ for my copy of this wonderful book.




Comments

Popular Posts