My Review of The Devil Upstairs by Anthony O'Neill



My Review:

Anthony O'Neill is a comic genius, I can't remember the last time I choked on my tea because I was laughing so much. I won't deprive you of the same pleasure of surprise but will suggest that you'll never look at a rolling pin in the same way again!

The Devil Upstairs is deliciously dark to the extent that I found myself thinking up suggestions as to how to kill someone in a scene where Cat Thomas, the protagonist, is inventively discussing all the possible ways she'd herself considered. Anthony O'Neill allows you to live vicariously through Cat and I found this cathartic. Even the best of us have had dark thoughts, however fleeting, of killing someone who makes our lives miserable for no other reason but that they can. Whilst keeping characters and situations plausible, O'Neill uses hyperbole to create a safe space of humour as events take dramatic twists and turns. Every time you think you know what's going to happen O'Neill subverts your expectations but he saves the best till last with the denouement ... I really didn't expect that.

Edinburgh, especially the Dean Village, becomes a character in its own right as O'Neill skillfully depicts it. It becomes an effective and evocative backdrop to events. It was the perfect choice of setting with its dark wynds and setts, the remoteness of Salisbury Crag to the bustle of Princes Street. O'Neill uses Edinburgh to imbue The Devil Upstairs with a natural sense of the Gothic and has done so expertly.

O'Neill's creation, and depiction, of Cat also goes prove beyond doubt that a male author can write from the female perspective. He never once falls into the trap of associating female with weak nor does he make her stereotypically girly. She's a strong independent woman and so much more ...


Thank you to Jazz Lacey-Campbell @bwpublishing for my gifted copy.


Comments

Popular Posts