My Review of First in the Fight by Helen Antrobus and Andrew Simcock



My Review:

Helen Antrobus and Andrew Simcock have put together a wonderful book: First in the Fight that opened my eyes to the fantastic twenty women who made Manchester what it is today. Some trailblazing women I had heard of, for example Emmeline Pankhurst but others such as Louise Da Cocodia were a revelation to me. I loved the fact that First in the Fight gives a woman of colour, such as Louise, their rightful place in history, and champions their activism to make the lives of others better. Louisa was part of the Windrush generation and worked as a nurse in the NHS aiming to improve the lives of all but especially the black community.

We can all do more than we think we can and Louisa reminds us of this with with: 'Don't say 'I can't' for 'I can't' never did anything. Say at least, 'I will try' - that works wonders. But oh, say 'I will DO' - that works miracles.' Wise words that we should all aspire to live by.

The book itself is informative and easy to dip in and out of, perfect for a coffee table and for others to pick up and enjoy too.


Comments

Popular Posts