My Review of Snowball by Gregory Bastianelli





My Review:

Huddled together in an RV to wait out a ferocious and somewhat Biblical storm are a seemingly unconnected group of strangers. At first glance it might seem hyperbolic but at the same time we live in a world where anyone of any sense accepts that we're in a climate emergency and once a century storms are becoming the yearly norm. Gregory Bastianelli commandingly taps into this idea to create a sense of plausibility before hitting the reader with an avalanche of the supernatural that had me so creeped out that when I stood in something wet in my own kitchen I couldn't help but look around for the supernatural source.

The third person narrative is skillful choice by Bastianelli as it allows the narrator to be omnipresent, which in turn allows the reader to be omnipresent too, it also masterfully plays into the the idea of Fate or some God like being orchestrating all our lives.

Bastianelli expertly challenges the reader to consider our own pasts as the characters retell winter tales that have haunted their lives and highlight that the most seemingly innocuous actions have consequences that can be devastating to others, usually innocent loved ones. Accountability is an important theme that permaeates Snowball and Bastianelli has some of the the characters do the right thing and others behave badly without ever passing judgement. It is more about showing that there is a ripple effect either way as our lives are all interconnected. Or ... are we all at the mercy of some greater power?

Snowball by Bastianelli chillingly 😉 delightful read that had me closing the book frequently to look up and reabsorb my surroundings and reassure myself that I wasn't trapped in an RV on a New Hampshire highway. I then had to take a deep breath before diving back in. As you can surmise Snowball is an engrossing read that is easily worth 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Comments

Popular Posts