My Review of The Miseducation of Evie Epworth by Matson Taylor




The Miseducation of Evie Epworth by Matson Taylor

I've read a lot of fantstic books this year but The Miseducation of Evie Epworth is going to take some beating ...

Believe the hype ... and the praise ... and the undoubted accolades to follow that this gem of a novel richly deserves.

The title with its connotations of 'Eee By Gum' transports the reader to an East Yorkshire of 1962. I may have not been alive the first time round but due to the genuis of Matson Taylor I feel as if I was. Taylor allowed me to leave the grim and grey lockdown of 2020, shed the years and become young again with all life's possibilities and angst swirling around me in the form of Evie. The first person narrative allows the reader to live Evie's life in the certain knowledge that it will work out all right in the end and that whatever it turns out to be it will be alright. Even when things aren't going well for Evie, her resilience imbibes the reader with a sense of hope for the future. 

It wouldn't be fair to finishthis review without acknowledging that Taylor's sense of humour is stupendous. Expect the unexpected, the incongruously funny and to laugh out loud repeatedly. I'll never hear Jerusalem again without belly laughing at a certain even in the book and neither will you.

Thank you, thank you and thank you again Matson.


Comments

Popular Posts