My Review of Unexpected Lessons in Love by Lucy Dillon




Unexpected Lessons in Love is my first adventure with Lucy Dillon but she has already become a firm favourite of mine. Dillon has a relaxed and informal writing style which is easy to immerse yourself in but belies the great skill it takes to create it.  I particularly enjoyed the free flowing dialogue that moved the narrative along both authentically and briskly.

Who could not love Jeannie? I defy anyone to say they do. She's the protagonist and the heart of Unexpected Lessons in Love and someone I'd like to have in my life. Dillon teaches the reader a lot through Jeannie without ever preaching or patronising us. Jeannie is fallible, like the rest of us, but learns and grows as a human being throughout the novel: an example to us all. She shows that love is something visceral and can be found the the most unexpected of places. Jeannie also shows that our lives evolve in unexpected ways but happiness can always be found if we look for it in what we have.

I thoroughly enjoyed Unexpected Lessons in Love and am sure you will too.

Thanks to Hannah Bright for my gifted copy of the book.

Comments

Popular Posts